Helping YOU make sense of complicated topics in the language you easily understand
Perhaps the most important thing to know about me, is that my practice really isn’t about me. My practice is about listening to YOU, small business owners and individuals about accounting, tax and personal finance related matters and applying the knowledge I’ve accumulated over the years to your specific situation. I am here to make sense of it.
You would be surprised how many times I’ve heard a statement similar to looking at the books and not understanding the story behind the numbers. Simple setup errors could put your books completely upside down without you even knowing. So yes, the statements you hear from the accounting software providers that they are “easy” to setup and run are true but they are also extremely easy to unintentionally misuse.
Small number of “odd ones” like me actually like to think of numbers as debits and credits and analyzing what do they really mean when presented in your financial statements.
Business Owner “musings”:
- As an innovator you already have a great product or service and your gross income shows a staggering number but your bank account balance seems to disagree?
- How is it that your SEO and Google Ads look really strong but your conversion rate hasn’t caught up?
- What are your operating costs that seem to be eating up all that income? What portion is fixed (THEY are in control)? What portion is variable (YOU are in control)? Do you have a reasonable profit margin i.e. are you marking up your products/services sufficiently?
- What is your break-even point at which point you’ve covered your weekly/monthly/quarterly costs and actually start making money?
- What are your budget to actual variances and are you actively engaged in mitigating them?
- What key performance indicators do you monitor to actively assess your overall financial health?
- So you’ve done the right thing, graduated from a great school, gotten your first few professional jobs, your paycheck has certainly seen a healthy increase but your bank account balance seems to disagree?
- Got “budget”?
- Do you have an “emergency fund”?
- Do you have a solid plan for reducing and completely eliminating your debt? Do you even know that it’s very possible?
- Does your rental or home own you instead of the other way around?
- Are you saving enough for retirement? college?
- Are you able to give back, pay it forward?
If these questions are striking a nerve I live and breathe them and would love to help you step through them.
For what it is worth, I chose a dual path after graduating from UCO: Started out in government internal auditing, eventually transitioning to the large-scale financial software (Oracle) implementation and support as well as the project/program management. That was all great but I couldn’t live without those numbers (it’s a curse!) so in a parallel path I supported two full service CPA firms (first Clampitt, CPA and then Babbit, CPA). All that experience taught me is that I really enjoy the people side of public accounting and helping YOU make sense of these complicated topics in the language you easily understand. You also don’t have time to take 40 to 120 hours of continued financial/accounting education every year to stay current on most pressing issues – you need ME to do that and deliver that information to you in a much more concise manner timely. That is exactly why I’ve branched out on my own because oddly enough I enjoy all that (yeah, I saw you chuckle)!
Last but not least, I have figured out a way to merge my two passions: travel and finances so I operate as much virtually, as from my home office right here in Rockville/Rockwell, Maryland so I am happy to meet in person if a need arises. I am a huge believer in a secure cloud-based software that can be accessed from anywhere and workflow optimizers that allow both you and I track the progress of our engagements. With so many choices out there I am so grateful you’re either considering me or have already been working with me for years. We can grow together!
Tia, your CPA
PS — Feel free to poke around our site and discover why I’ve been called “The Most Trusted CPA in the Rockwell Area”. Fill out the form below to see how we can help, and receive a free report from us.
We’ll also add you to our weekly email series on “Real World” Strategy for small business owners. Our readers enthusiastically forward these to their colleagues and peers all the time, because they’re not your standard “tax tips”.
PPS — Already want to come in? I don’t blame you … many people are fed up with trying to manage their financials on their own. Click here to schedule a time to meet with us. We will NOT make dealing with a tax professional as painful as it’s been in the past!
THE trusted advisor!
Let Us Help:
What our Clients are saying
Tia Cantrell has worked for our firm both in office and remotely since 2008. She is a very qualified CPA with outstanding work habits and her knowledge in the field of accounting and tax is exemplary. Our clients absolutely love her, and we feel fortunate to have her help us each year during our busy tax season. We highly recommend Tia if you are in need of a CPA's service.Outstanding work habits
Very good service, professionals who know their business work, I recommend it to everyoneI recommend it to everyone
“It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.” I think we can agree that Charles Dickens’s famous lines ring true when looking back at 2020 and 2021 (though “best” might seem like a stretch).With employees shifting their worlds to make room for new priorities,...